The University of Wolverhampton

Wireless Networks

Welcome to the University's Wireless Networks

Personal Networking enables staff, students and visitors to connect their own laptops, PCs or other mobile device to the Internet.

There are Wireless Hotspots all over the University - in Learning Centres, Refectories and Cafés, so you can work where you want.

Staff and students can also print on University printers from any device connected to the wireless network.

And students can use the Internet from most rooms in University accommodation, using wireless or a wired (UTP) connection.

What you need for wireless

  • A wireless-enabled device. Most laptops and smartphones now have wireless built in. PCs and Macs without wireless can use a USB wireless adapter, available from computer retailers.

  • Credentials to identify you on the network: a username and password. If you are a member of University staff or a student, you can get an IT account if you don't already have one. If you are a visitor attending a function arranged by our Conferencing Department, they can arrange temporary access. Other visitors should contact the IT Service Desk (01902 322000).

  • PCs and Macs need anti-virus software and a firewall. Staff and students have some protection from viruses and malware, but you are responsible for your own security. Current staff and students are entitled to use F-Secure Client Security for Windows (you can get a copy of this free of charge from our download website). For Macs we recommend the free ClamXAV anti-virus software and the firewall built into OSX.

How do I connect?

First make sure that your device has its wireless switched on, and get a list of the networks in your area.

There are two networks for staff and students, and one for visitors. They are:


This is for University staff and students. It is an "open" network, like you might find in a café. Anything can connect to it, but after connecting, you will have to open a web browser and type in your University IT account username and password before you get access to the Internet. Go to the wolfradiolan page for further information about connecting to it.


This is a network for staff and students in most UK HE and FE institutions, including of course our own. It needs credentials when you connect to it, like a home wireless router. However, instead of a single password for anyone who uses it, it wants your assigned username and password. Not all devices can connect to this sort of network - for example, most games consoles can't. Go to the eduroam page for information about connecting to it.


This is a network for visitors. It is another "open" network, so after connecting you need to open a Web browser and enter the credentials you were issued for your visit. Go to the UoWguest page for information about connecting to it.

I'm from the University - do I use wolfradiolan or eduroam?

If you can use eduroam then we recommend you do so. The advantages are:

  1. You don't have to use a web browser to log on each time you connect.
  2. Everything you send and receive is encrypted while it travels over the wireless network. If that doesn't seem important, have a look at this article about impersonation on the Internet.
  3. The eduroam network is also available at most other UK Universities and many FE colleges. You can find out more from its home page.

What are the other networks?

There are also two other networks available in most parts of the University:


This is for University-owned laptops. It gives them the same access to University services as desktop systems connected to the University wired network. Non-University devices can connect, but will get the same experience as if they used eduroam. For most people the main difference will be that My Documents is not your University Personal Storage.


This is for University-owned Cisco wireless phones. It is set up to give them the best service possible, and other devices can't connect to it.